BAKING OF A DIFFERENT KIND



As you all know we love to bake here at 44 Cookham Road and for the last 9 months, along with the yummy food we whip up in our mini-kitchen we have also been doing some baking of a different kind.

William Andrew Bujtor (named after his late great Grandfather) arrived into our world on 06th April 2013, weighing in at 3.3kg, 53cm long and show casing a decent set of lungs!


Needless to say we are smitten. He has so far been hours of entertainment and I like to call him "my little time waster" as I often find myself just sitting and staring in awe.

Anyhow, rest assured this blog is not about to become "baby central". William is mostly all mine. I say mostly because he also has a doting father as well as a large and beautiful extended family and group of ready made friends that I need to share him with!

However, the purpose of his introduction is my way of saying that things may be a little quiet in the 44 Cookham Road mini kitchen for a while and if they are you know I have a very good excuse!

Having said that I did manage to pop into the kitchen yesterday and whip up some ANZAC cookies in honor of the men and women who lost their lives fighting in wars for their country, my country, Australia.
I couldn't attend a dawn service this year as I was having a dawn service of a different kind here at home. It happens every morning at dawn when the little man wakes us up looking for his tucker!

So in the spirit of "Lest we Forget" I baked instead.

Stay tuned also for the Autumn special as I hope to put the finishing touches on that over the next few days. It has taken slightly longer to get it out to you than I expected, but you will have to speak to my little time waster about that!

Oaty ANZACS (Nanna's golden oldie)
(ANZAC Biscuits have been around since WW1, it is thought that the biscuits were sent by wives to soldiers abroad because the ingredients do not spoil easliy and the biscuits kept well during trasnportation)

1.5 cups rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
125g salted butter
1/2 tsp bi-carbonate soda (baking soda)
1 tbsp hot water

Preheat your oven to 160°C.

Place the oats, flour and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Place the golden syrup and butter in a small saucepan over a low heat until melted. Meanwhile mix the bi-carbonate soda with the hot water. Once the butter and syrup have melted together add the water mixture to the butter mixture and stir to combine.

Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix well. Place tablespoons of the mixture onto grease proof paper lined baking trays taking care to space well apart as the biscuits will spread while they are baking. Bake for 10 minutes or until they have turned golden.

Transfer to a wire rack and and allow to cool.

Yield: Makes 22 biscuits