HAPPY (BELATED) BIRTHDAY TO US!



44 Cookham Road turned one...

...in May and I missed it! I was all consumed at that time, still am really, but I am starting to fit more into my day. A little bit of me time, usually spent in the mini-kitchen, in between caring for and playing with my gorgeous little boy.

The last 12 months since I started working on 44 have been quite the ride. Secret engagements and weddings, a baby on the way, THE baby arriving, resigning from a long held day job and replacing that with a much loved 24/7 job.

I did say in January that this year would largely be about change and new beginnings. When I look back over the last 12 months I think the wheels were probably already in motion long before. Who knew that happiness of this level could exist.

So cheers to the last 12 months, we shall raise a toast to it (slightly late) with some bubbles and a decadent cake!

My Jam Lamington

I have been searching for a 'grown-up' chocolate cake lately. It had to be super moist, not too sweet and have a real grown-up chocolate (no cocoa powder) flavour. This one-bowl beauty that I found over on this blog, which is originally a Donna Hay recipe, "took the cake" (sorry!).

I wanted a good chocolate cake base that I could load up with jam, ganache and top with flaked coconut. My version of the god 'ole Aussie Lamington. Decadent, over the top, extravagant and just because.

So here she is, My Jam Lamington.

The base (adapted from Donna Hay)
125g butter, chopped
375g good quality dark chocolate, chopped
175g brown sugar
32g plain (all purpose) flour
2 tbsp milk
120g almond meal
5 eggs

Preheat your oven to 160°C and grease a 22cm round spring form cake tin.

Place the butter and chocolate in a large bowl over a pot of simmering water to melt. Ensure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Once melted remove from the heat, add the sugar, flour, milk and almond meal, mixing to combine.

Then, add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin and cover with a sheet of foil. Bake for 60 minutes or until the inside is set and not wobbling. For me, in my oven this took 90 minutes.

Remove the foil and cool in the tin.

Chocolate Butter Cream 
150g butter, softened
260g icing sugar, sifted
170g dark chocolate, melted

Cream butter and icing sugar together until stiff and pale. Add the melted chocolate and beat for 2 minutes to combine. Set aside.

To assemble
Slice the cake through the center into two halves. Spread your favourite store bought raspberry jam over the base and then top that with 2 tablespoons of the butter cream. Place the lid of the cake on top and sandwich together.

Spread the remainder of the butter cream over the top and sides of the cake. Sprinkle with coconut flakes.